Saturday, June 14, 2014

METAL DETECTING - A FANTASTIC HOBBY - Hobbies

Over the years I have been involved in many hobbies including stamp collecting, coin collecting, radio controlled airplanes, flying and you name it. Of all those hobbies the only one that ever made any money was metal detecting. Not at first but as I learned more about it and acquired more sophisticated detectors it became more and more profitable. However making a profit was just a sideline. There are many more advantages to metal detecting. For one thing it is a great form of mild exercise and you are outside breathing fresh air. Also you learn a lot about history.

When I first got interested in metal detecting, I bought a cheap "build it yourself" kit from Radio Shack. It was midnight when I finally got it all assembled. I went out to the front yard and turned it on. Right a way a got a beep and dug up a scrap piece of tin. That was it. I now had the bug. I next visited a local treasure shop and looked over the commercial metal detectors. At that time the Compass brand was very popular. I bought the low end model. Big mistake. I very shortly realized the limitations it had. Back to the treasure shop. I traded in my low end model for a more sophisticated one. That's when I started making some interesting finds.

Living in California was a great advantage to metal detecting. Not only could I hunt old ghost towns and mining camps but there were also many beaches to hunt. Beach hunting is fun. All you need is your detector and a sand scoop. The possibilities are endless. I have found jewelry, coins, keys, knives, silverware and fishing equipment.

Hunting ghost towns and mining camps is a whole different ballgame. A little more equipment is necessary. You need various digging tools depending on the area. A really strong digging knife is mandatory. Sometimes a small pick axe is helpful. Finds run the gamut from old coins to all sorts of items from the gold rush days including military belt buckles, military buttons, gun parts, Chinese coins and opium tins.

Over the years metal detectors have become more and more sophisticated. The high end models will tell you what the target probably is and approximately how deep. They will also rule out many of the junk targets that plague metal detecting.

If you are just starting out in the great hobby of metal detecting your best source of information is obtained by joining a metal detecting or treasure hunting club. Also your local metal detecting dealer can be of great help.

If you are in the market for a metal detector take a peek here:/gp/product/B000RQQLWI?ie=UTF8&tag=mc0ae-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B000RQQLWI





iAutoblog the premier autoblogger software

No comments:

Post a Comment